Anyone who has been on Instagram in the past minute knows all about #fitspiration. Being fit, strong and healthy is all the rage and is taking over everyone's obsession of being just skinny. Hopefully this trend takes over and is here to stay. All my friends certainly know the health nut I've become…
I'm sitting in a bar in east village sipping on my kale, apple, ginger, cayenne pepper detox juice while everyone around me has a cold beer in hand. I've become THAT girl, as a means to survive the city. My legs are my main source of transportation. It's not like growing up in the south where I could have a fried chicken, cornbread, mashed potato dinner, fall into my car and the only walking I had to do was up to my bed.
These are my 10 tips to help you start a healthy lifestyle no matter where you live:
1. Workout first thing in the morning. It's like having playtime before class or work and puts you in a good mood for the rest of the day.
2. Always carry a bag with gym clothes with you or stashed in your car. That way you can't make excuses. A Lauren Moshi tote makes a cute gym bag.
3. Eat only what you can recognize or pronounce. The more ingredients that are in their natural state the better.
4. Don't be a hamster. You know those people at the gym that are doing endless amounts of cardio. Your best bet is lifting heavy weights and eating healthy if you want to have that hard body look.
5. Make your workouts fun. Do group activities or classes, dress up, listen to music you like. Monrow has cute tanks, tee and sweats that are perfect for any workout.
6. Implement a buddy system. It helps to have someone whose around your fitness level that has similar goals to keep you motivated and keep you on track.
7. When trying to form new eating habits challenge yourself by sticking to a strict eating regime, like paleo, for an increment of time, like a week or so.
8. Google is your best friend. You can look up what a “paleo diet” is or get ideas for “clean eating” recipes or workouts. If you really have no idea where to begin consult a doctor, dietician or personal trainer.
9. Be vocal about your goals. The more people know the more likely you are to stay on track and you could end up motivating someone else.
10. Do the bend over test. Please ladies – make sure your yoga pants are not transparent when you bend over. That's embarrassing. Opt for basic leggings by David Lerner.
Don't be discouraged if you have a hard time adjusting or fall back into bad habits every now and then. This health journey isn’t about deprivation. Get back on track and keep challenging yourself.